Web Files are specific to web applications and can either be requested by a browser directly, or are used to build up part of the web page that is requested in the browser. The following table lists the various web files and their extensions, and describes how each file is used.
- Web Form .aspx The workhorses of any ASP.NET web site, Web Forms represent the pages that your users view in their browser.
- Master Page .master Enable you to define the global structure and the look and feel of a web site.
- Web User Control .ascx Contains page fragments that can be reused in multiple pages in your site.
- HTML Page .htm / .html Can be used to display static HTML in your web site.
- Style Sheet .css Contains CSS code that enables you to style and format your web site.
- Web Configuration File .config Contains global configuration information that is used throughout the site.
- Site Map .sitemap Contains a hierarchical representation of files in your site in an XML format.
- Skin File .skin Contains design information for controls in your web site.